Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Advise Needed From My Secret Blogger Friends

Okay, here's the deal and if Husband Bill reads this (.09% probability of this happening), I am screwed. In about 10 days or so, Bill and me head to Dickinson College's Parents Weekend. We will be flying directly into Baltimore a day before it begins due to the distant we are flying, which is a good thing because we get to spend the evening with my sister, her husband and my niece and nephew. The next morning, we drive to Carlisle and see my daughter for the weekend(YEAH). Here comes the tricky part: we are scheduled to leave midday Sunday. Bill needs to get back to work, in fact, he's making an incredible effort to attend at all. He is such a great stepfather to my daughter! And I'm not just saying this in case he actually reads this post! The fact is, it is imperative that he gets back right away.

I was supposed to schedule his flight using the free Southwest ticket we had, just in case he was not able to go at the last moment. I don't know what happened, but I accidentally (it really was an accident...cross my heart and hope to die) used the freebie for my ticket. Now, I am thinking that someone "upstairs" is trying to help me get the chance to spend a few more days visiting my sister. She's my BFF and I miss her terribly. And, I love her husband and children, too. Being 1000's of miles away is not my favorite part of my life.

My sister is thinking she might say something at the dinner like, "boy I sure could use Beth during this remodeling project going on at my house", (useful sister routine) or "it seems such a shame two sisters not being able to spend more time together" (guilt on the husbands) or finally going for the gusto, "the kids really miss their favorite Aunt" (guilt to the Uncle).

If I come home as scheduled it is easier on Bill as I take care of the house and especially, Wrigley. And he can be a handful.

That old saying comes to mind, "be careful what you ask for, you just might get it" for some reason. I am pulled in both directions. So, friends, lay on the advise. What would you do? This empty nest Mom cannot figure this one out.

4 comments:

gettingraphic design said...

tell him you want to stay longer. there has to be a kid in the neighbor hood that can come walk the dog in the morning and play with him in the afternoon.

I would rather my wife tell me a head of time then just spring it on me.

Just a guys thought.

Anonymous said...

I agree with gettingraphic design. Just tell him you want to stay longer and you may consider hinting around to this ahead of time. You know, you only live once and family means so much. My family is also very far away, if I was already there with my sister, in my case it would be my brother, and had a tix where I had the opportunity to come back later, you bet I would stay and visit!
Just let your husband know how you feel and how very much this means to you. Im sure it will all work out.
Best of Luck!!

June said...

Yes - you have to come and stay! It will be best and we'll have so much fun.

Davina said...

I know how you feel, my sister lives only 3hrs away, but I don't get see her enough. She is my bff also. You need to tell him or you will never know in the end. It will be worth it if he says yes.

Good luck!