Sunday, February 22, 2009

Family Visits: Surviving the Day They Leave

She's sitting on the plane with her husband, having two hours left of the grueling trip back home. I haven't moved off the couch. We ate so much this weekend, that I feel a bit like a slug. I have the familiar feeling of loss and uncertainty of not knowing when or where I will get to see my sister again. The hard economic times bring an unusual amount of fear that it could be longer than usual until we get back together. But, deep down inside, I am always optimistic about the prospects of spending more time with my sister or my Mom, who lives equally far away from my home in Scottsdale, Arizona.

Distance from one's loved ones can be a bitch. Being stuck so far away makes everything more difficult. It's best not to think about the amount of time between visits. Rather, focus on all the laughs and fun we just experienced. Some families do not have this special relationship and I pity them. It's the best feeling in the world.

Thanks June and Scott for making the trek across country for a short visit! It was the very best. I will sulk for several more days, then come back to normal. It's simply the regular process I go through every time and it does not get easier...it gets harder the older I get.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you got some time with your sister. I don't have the kind of relationship with my sis that I would mind her living further away. We only see each other now a couple of times a year and we only live 20 minutes a part.

June said...

We had the best time. And your cooking was fabulous. You should post the recipes. Everyone should make them. Thanks again. You're quite the hostess! And we will see each other VERY soon.